The story of our beloved Monoosnock began back in 1908!
MONOOSNOCK COUNTRY CLUB
The tale of Monoosnock began in 1908, when the Monoosnock Country Club of Leominster was organized by three local men:
William Holden, Bernard Doyle, and Everett Richardson.
The choice location was the Garrison-Fisk land on Main Street.It would accommodate the members’ criteria: a convenient location, fairly level land with good soil for golf,
a flat area for tennis, a nice view for less active members, and easy accessibility by all means of transportation.In 1924, the club
incorporated and became Monoosnock Country Club, Inc.
Wayne Stiles, a Boston architect, was hired to redesign the golf course to what it is today. Stiles was a well known course architect who was described as “prolific, designing more than 140 courses from Maine to New Mexico. More than 70 remain, including many memorable layouts throughout New England.” He is credited with designing the Taconic Club in Williamstown MA as well as the Cranwell Resort Spa and Golf Club. Stiles was the original architect of the front 9 holes at Oak Hill Country Club in Fitchburg, before Donald Ross designed the back nine and retouched some of the front.
Stiles and his partner Van Kleek were known for their manner of designing the golf course by laying out the green locations and elevations first and then working backward from there. Since the course’s original design, our greens have always been among the best and most challenging in Central MA.
The Country Club underwent a facelift in 1950. Land was purchased for the possibility of an additional nine holes of golf.
The clubhouse was renovated with kitchen facilities added. The clubhouse was now open for weddings and other functions.